Minutes of A.G.M. Tuesday 07/10/2014
Present: Padraigin Uí Riordáin , Richard Cronin, Catherine O’Connor, Caroline Mc Namara, Aileen Coleman, Lila Browne, Mary Healy, Noreen Gubbins, Niamh Brooks, Eileen Collins, A O’Donovan, Catherine Buckley, Ashling Daly, Helena O’Sullivan, Jean Carroll, Orla Mc Carthy, Brian Shanahan, Tom Burton, Jackie Crowley in attendance.
Richard introduced the committee and welcomed all parents and then went through overview of the previous year:
- Project for P.A for the yr was to help with setting up a 2nd computer room. We were to be I.T. focused. It was decided to provide the school with Apple TV’S to the value of €3000.
- There was a 1st year fun quiz night organised, great fun and lots of chocolate had by all J
- Student representatives were invited to a PA meeting to ask what we could do for the students. It was decided to provide a water fountain for students so as each floor would have access to one.
- A Parent’s Association section has been added to the school website.
- PA helped by providing feedback on the Anti Bullying Policy for the school.
- A double cuff school jumper is now available in Finns Corner following feedback from a parent on the PA.
- Feedback on the school hall was provided by the Parents Association.
- There was a bag packing day in Tesco to raise funds, P.A. parents supervised. Transition year students were fantastic on the day.
- The biggest fundraiser in the school are the monthly No Uniform Days, €2 collected from the girls, raffle for Wilton vouchers on the day. PA treasurer organises vouchers and counts money with help from members of the PA.
Treasurer Catherine O’Connor talked us through financials for the year
- No uniform days brought in €5941.50
- Tesco bag pack brought in €883.64
- Friends of Mount Mercy accrued €285.75
We have had a very healthy bank balance from the year, with closing balance on Aug 30th 2014 €3219.98, having paid out for the apple TVs and the water fountain.
Update from Principal
Principal Padraigin Uí Riordáin welcomed parents and thanked them for being very supportive to the school, to her as a principal and to their daughters.
- Expressed thanks to the Parents Association for their work for the school. A special thanks to Richard Cronin for his IT expertise, great help to the school.
- It has been very busy yr for the school and this is summarised in the Mt Mercy magazine.
- Junior and Leaving Certificate exam results were very good, above national average. This is due to the hard work of the students, teachers, parents, a great partnership.
- Diograis Awards were explained: annual event where the school honours students who achieve highly, not only exam-wise. Guest Speaker last year Sinead Kennedy RTE who is a former student.
- There are lots of extra-curricular activities during the yr.
- School Mass started the year, school has a Catholic ethos. This is a lovely gathering.
- TY has a range of activities, charity events. Last yr 4 groups from The Social Innovators programme received prizes at National level.
- The make-up of the Board of Management was explained: 8 people, 4 from Ceist (trustees), 2 staff and 2 parents. The principal reports to the board.
- Principal said that initiatives the school are working on improving at present are IT as a learning tool. There is also a focus on Numeracy and Literacy.
- School is trying to achieve a 4th flag for transport. The girls were walking to school on 8th
- Another flag the school is hoping to achieve is the Amber flag. This promotes looking after the mental well being of the students.
- Mt Mercy College will be 50 years old in the spring of 2015. There will be events organised to celebrate during the year.
- SPORTS HALL: We must continue to raise funds for the Sports Hall. O.M. has sought planning. There are minor questions from the City Council. Once sports hall is built the existing sports hall will be a student centre, canteen, and social space for the students.
There was a brainstorm amongst parents present for Fundraising activities and ideas for events for the coming year.
- It was also decided that some of our funds from the PA would go toward buying white boards for classrooms that still have blackboards.
- Election of new officers took place with committee remaining as last year:
- Richard Cronin nominated as Chairperson by Mary Healy, seconded by Orla Mc Carthy. Jackie Crowley nominated as Secretary by Mary Healy and seconded by Niamh Brooks. Catherine O’Connor was nominated as Treasurer by Richard Cronin and seconded by Jackie Crowley. Vice Chair is Leila Brown nominated by Richard Cronin and seconded by Adrianna O’Donovan.
- Minutes of previous meeting
- Financial Status
- Update by Principal
- Action Items from Previous Meeting
- Agree AGM Agenda
- Any Other Business
- Next meeting
Action Items from Previous Meeting
- Bag Packing May 24th @Tesco
- Water Fountain
- Apple TVs
- Feedback from next Student Council meeting
- Email Addresses for parents
Bag Packing May 24th, if you can help please let us know….
Agenda to follow shortly…